Via Separations is a rapidly growing Boston-area startup dedicated to eliminating CO2 emissions from industrial manufacturing processes. At the intersection of engineering, society, and impact, our team is passionate about making a difference and building the technology and organization to do it. We are a fast-paced, interdisciplinary team backed by leading venture capital firms. Our team has tripled in the last 12 months, and we are looking to add talented, mission-driven people to our cohort.
We are passionate about global climate impact, optimistic about scientific progress, and unafraid of hard problems. We believe that our people are our unfair advantage and drive our mission. We embrace the diversity of our team for creative solutions and believe the best ideas come from the intersection of disciplines and perspectives. We want you to join us!
Via Separations’ technology is the first commercial implementation of membranes in several difficult industrial applications. With significant independence, the Senior Instrument and Controls Engineer will be responsible for the design and execution of the instrumentation & controls. You will be an integral member of the cross-disciplinary product development team and work alongside our external engineering partners to bring our commercial systems to fruition. This role has enormous growth potential as headcount increases, systems scale, and the organization continues to build scope and influence.
- Develop industrial field instrumentation design philosophy, process narratives and alarm philosophy
- Develop, modify, and maintain project-specific instrumentation and controls design packages (BOMs, specifications, programs, equipment lists)
- Program and implement PLC and SCADA applications
- Evaluate technologies and strategies to improve performance and operability and reduce cost
- Establish factory acceptance and site acceptance procedures, including commissioning support
- Create component specifications (RFQs), select parts, and contact vendors
- Participate in hazard analysis on systems (FMEA, HAZOP, etc.)
- Support root cause analyses of failure modes
- Provide training and direction to employees, co-ops, customers, and contractors
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering or similar with 5+ years of experience in instrumentation and controls engineering or 8+ years of experience in instrumentation and controls engineering
- PLC programming experience; preferably with Studio 5000
- SCADA application development, preferably with Ignition, Aveva System Platform, or similar
- Familiarity with ANSI/ISA-18.2, Management of Alarm Systems for the Process Industries and other ANSI/ISA standards
- Experience with industrial process instrumentation including pressure, temperature, level, flow, refractive index and conductivity
- Knowledge of electrical systems/components such as variable frequency drives and motor control centers
- Excellent communication and organizational skills; Able to clearly express and critique ideas
- Some travel (up to 20%) may be required
- U.S. Work authorization is required for this role.
- Competitive compensation package, including equity options
- Medical, Dental & Vision Insurance
- Disability & Life Insurance
- 12 weeks paid Maternity & Paternity Leave
- 15 days of annual PTO
- 15 days paid company holidays
At Via, we value and prioritize diversity of thought, access, and experiences, and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.