Job Profile Summary
Under general supervision, the Senior Technology Specialist provides technical support, training, and mentoring to students, instructors, staff, and community partners at the Broward Up sites through the Department of Commerce – Connecting Minority Communities (CMC) Pilot Program. The program aims to offer broadband internet access service and equipment and provide internships to train information technology personnel. The ideal candidate should be an energetic team player ready to learn and grow in an Information Technology domain with numerous professional development and advancement opportunities. Based on demand, evenings, weekend hours, and site trips are required. A reliable means of transportation and a valid Florida driver’s license are essential to perform the position’s responsibilities. Performs related work as directed.
This is a temporary position with a chance of renewal based on grant performance. The incumbent is subject to annual performance evaluations.
Applicants claiming preference are responsible for providing required documentation at the time of submitting application.
For information on obtaining a DD 214 visit http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/ or call 1-866-272-6272.
- Associates degree or formal technical training required. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Two years of relevant experience in the technical support environment.
- Training and mentoring experience
- Knowledge and training experience of Microsoft Office Suite applications.
- Daily – 50%: Responds to on-site or online classroom, conference room, office, and audio-visual technology time-sensitive issues from staff, faculty, and students seeking technical assistance at the Broward Up sites with Windows and Apple computers, projectors, network connectivity, telecom, cellphone, audiovisual equipment, software, conferencing applications, printing, and other technology devices. Communicates with customers via email, web-based Chat tools, and Voice Calls to provide solutions and update help desk tickets and timecards with detailed information. Provides student interns with career guidance, real-world experience, and advice on professional development. Coordinates the distribution of laptops and other devices to students, instructors, and community partners maintain the inventory of devices purchased through the grant.
- Weekly – 30%: Provides onsite audio and video equipment set up and support for events held at Broward Up site and event venues. Travels to Broward partner sites as needed to complete projects or perform daily technical support services to staff, faculty and students.
- Monthly – 10%: Evaluates new hardware and software for compatibility with current college standard and applications. Creates user guide and knowledge base articles of know issue resolutions and technical information.
- Other – 10%: Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills And Abilities
- Ability to support and interact with all levels of personnel in a friendly, courteous and professional manner.
- Ability to effectively communicate technical issues to diverse audiences both orally and in writing.
- Ability to manage own time and follow established priorities while participating as an active team member.
- Desire to use available training and learning opportunities to develop personally and professionally.
- Requires the application of general functional knowledge and technical skills.
- Ability to interact and effectively communicate with a diverse employee and student population.
- Ability to understand the operational goals, policies and objectives of own work and job standards
Respect for Others
Demonstrates respect for team members and constituents by valuing their contributions toward the goals of the work unit and the College. Maintains professionalism and contributes to a cohesive work environment
Cooperates and collaborates with individuals & groups that supports the mission and values of the College
Works effectively with all individuals and contributes to a positive environment by working with a diverse population of students, faculty, staff and external constituents. Contributes to an inclusive, respectful, and empowering working environment that welcomes varying perspectives
Flexibility & Adaptability
Adapts approaches as situations in the work environment changes. Supports change based on the environmental needs, emerging technologies, and system upgrades
Effectively applies concepts, theories, methods, tools, techniques, and expertise in emerging technological systems and functions
Continuous Improvement & Learning
Actively develops one’s own skills and explores opportunities for personal learning and continuous development within the job’s functionality and in support of the goals and mission of the department, division and College
Senior Technology Specialist – Community Broadband Initiatives (Multiple Vacancies)
Full time Temporary
Workforce Innovative Curriculum and Programming
$44,907 – $53,327 (Salary commensurate with education and experience)
Monday – Friday/Weekends/Varies
Hours Per Week
Posting End Date
Open Until Filled
To be considered for this position, a completed online employment application along with a resume and unofficial transcript(s) are required.
Designated Essential Personnel
Professional Technical Staff (PTS)
Special Instructions To Applicant
For positions requiring a degree, the official transcripts are required upon hire. An unofficial copy of the degree/transcript is acceptable during the application process and must be attached to the online application. If unable to attach the documentation, please email document to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 954-201-7612, stating clearly the position name(s) and position number(s) the transcript is to be attached to.
Foreign Transcript: Transcripts issued outside of the United States require a equivalency statement from a certified transcript evaluation service verifying the degree equivalency to that of an accredited institution within the USA. This report must be attached with the application and submitted by the application deadline. All required documentation must be received on or before the job posting end date.
**Please note that multiple documents can be uploaded in the “Resume/CV/Transcript/License/Certification” section of the application**
Please refer to link with the instructions on how to submit an application with multiple documents. https://www.broward.edu/jobs/_docs/tutorial_external_applicant_broward_college.pdf.
Employment is contingent upon successful completion of the required background screening process.
Broward College uses E-Verify to check employee eligibility to work in the United States. You will be required to complete an I-9 Form and provide documentation of your identity for employment purposes.
Diversity and Inclusion are a priority at Broward College
Broward College is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from eligible veterans and spouses of veterans, underrepresented groups, including minorities, women, and persons with disabilities. The College does not discriminate on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation or any other legally protected classification.
For inquiries regarding Title IX and the college’s non-discrimination policies, contact the Vice President for Talent and Culture at 954-201-7449, Broward College, 6400 NW 6th Way, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33309.
Applicants needing a reasonable accommodation with the application process, please contact the Talent and Culture Department at email@example.com.
The intent of this description is to illustrate the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and should not be interpreted of describe all the specific duties and responsibilities that may be required in any particular position. Directly related education/experience beyond the minimum stated may be substituted where appropriate at the discretion of the Appointing Authority. Broward College reserves the right to revise or change job duties, job hours, and responsibilities.