The National Women’s Soccer League (NWSL) is the top professional women’s soccer league in the USA, with 12 teams and 300+ of the best soccer players globally. In just its 10th season, the league continues to grow exponentially: In 2022, the NWSL shattered all-time fan attendance records, more than two dozen markets expressed demand for expansion teams, valuations of teams multiplied by double digits, several new C-suite executives were hired, and the league continues to receive unprecedented interest from sponsors and media partners alike.
Reporting directly to the Chief Revenue Officer, this position will manage and lead day to day the business development activities for NWSL, working against strategies set up in conjunction with the CRO and the Senior Director of Business Development. The position plays a critical role in the successful management of business development activities and pipeline, including:
- Leading outreach and prospecting.
- Craft customized proposals and presentation materials representing engagement valuation.
- Driving development of new League platforms and new business opportunities along with CRO.
- Optimize & help shape business development organizational processes.
- Identify and close new sponsorship partnerships.
- This role will also support ancillary revenue driving strategies as needed and directed by CRO.
- Collaborate with the Senior Director of Business Development to prospect and develop new business for the NWSL; primarily focused on sponsorships.
- Maintain an understanding of the NWSL, brand values, capabilities, active client portfolio and premium revenue generation sources.
- Possess deep knowledge of the active companies and categories of focus for the business development department.
- Prepare custom partner proposals and other business development materials.
- Maintain accurate records of sponsor pipeline and assist in quarterly and annual reports as well as long term strategic planning and goal setting.
- Work cross-departmentally to identify and develop new ideas and assets that meet both corporate partner goals as well as NWSL objectives and incrementally sell ideas to partner portfolios.
- Support and foster the development of the Senior director and Managers of Business Development.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university required.
- 15+ years of progressive experience in sponsorship sales.
- Has an extensive network and is a natural connector of people.
- Experience building presentations including graphics packages, Microsoft and Google presentations.
- Effective communication (both written and verbal) and relationship-building skills
- Ability to work independently and in a virtual environment and execute without close supervision.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills.
- Experience gathering and analyzing research across internal and external industry sources; ability to clearly articulate the relevance of the research.
- Ability to deliver high quality work and execute under pressure/deadlines.
- Ability to work non-traditional hours in non-traditional settings within a professional sports atmosphere.
- Proven ability to manage and develop talent and staff.
- Has a strong professional and positive presence/image that represents the league both internally and externally.
- Guided by strong moral and ethical principles.
- Knowledge of the business of soccer.
- Communicates in a direct, open, and honest manner.
- Accountable for actions/decisions and does not make excuses.
- Proactively seeks and gives feedback.
- Has a strong pulse on social and cultural consumer trends and opportunities.
Annual Salary Range: $175,000 – $215,000 annually
Location: NY, NY
NWSL salaries are contingent upon candidates’ qualifications, functional business needs, and market financials.
NWSL is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. All employment decisions, including the recruiting, hiring, placement, training availability, promotion, compensation, evaluation, disciplinary actions, and termination of employment (if necessary) are made without regard to the employee’s race, color, creed, religion, sex, pregnancy or childbirth, personal appearance, family responsibilities, sexual orientation or preference, gender identity, political affiliation, source of income, place of residence, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, marital status, military veteran status, unfavorable discharge from military service, physical or mental disability, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.